Saturday 7 January 2012

UFO MkII - someone else's UFO

Inspired as I was by Marina's challenge, I also had another project that was fit to include.

My auntie, one of Australia's top embroiderers, had given up on this dress (I'm not sure why) and given the pieces to my mum, who then gave them to me.

My auntie is now in her eighties and maybe one or 2 sizes above me.  I don't know what the original project was to be - but it was a very loose fitting shift with french darts and simple lines.  The fabric falls beautifully, and feels like a soft linen, but a burn test indicated it's some kind of poly blend, (easy care!) and has an open weave.




The project included facings that were already made up.



But of course once I made up the dress the way I wanted it I had to change the shape of them, thus:


The pieces were all the fabric I had to work with.  I decided to attempt to copy another shift dress I own: a vintage crepe shift that my mum had in the early 1970s - simple and flattering.  I didn't do all that well with it, and because this fabric doesn't actually fall the same way as crepe, what ended up happening was I made up the dress, then altered the hell out of it.

It was kind of cool though, Auntie Pat had overcast all the seam allowances and where I could keep them I did.  I finished my own cut seam allowances with a line of stitching and pinking (with my brand new pinking shears!)

The facings were all interfaced.  When I made it up, the armhole facings were far too stiff for my liking, so I took them out, removed the interfacing, and put them back in again.  This was a pretty confident move, as I had already clipped & pinked those armhole seam allowances.  I was amazed that it worked out OK and thrilled that it had the desired effect of making a softer line.




I've styled it with a belt as it really needed it (unlike the dress I was intending to copy from).

Here's the back (the fit of which is not perfect, but will learn from it!):


It kind of has a Tiffany & Co colour to it, don't you think?


Actually, you can see here it's a couple of shades deeper than Tiffany blue, but close!  Lovely things come in Tiffany packages!

Overall, happy with this one as it's something I can definitely add to my office wardrobe!







4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Majella! What an amazing project transformation. *awe* :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice transformation. I would have never guessed it was re-fashioned! By the way, I like the way you styled blue dress and black accessories - looks very stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The transformation is complete. Needless to say I think your version is entirely flattering! I love sheath dresses like this - so flattering. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such great vision. That is one gorgeous dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete